In this episode of What We Want to Eat, Dillon Honcoop talks about the founders of the Alexandre Family Farms in Crescent City, California.
Today, dairy farmers and dairy operations face many challenges. Many of those are related to consumer perceptions surrounding milk, and if dairy products are healthy to eat. The Alexandre Family Farm is working to educate consumers on milk, dairy products, and why people have problems digesting them. While lactose intolerance and dairy allergies are real, the intolerances are related to the protein in milk (A1). A part of the story is making up the whole story, and the family is aiming to shed more light on all aspect of dairy.
In this interview, the Alexandre Family explains the process in which milk proteins affect the human body, how their milk is different, and how they take great care in educating their consumers on how dairy affects their bodies. The family also speaks about their farms being organic, regenerative, carbon neutral, and how they’re spent over 25 years following all these practices. What’s more, they speak openly about being “Big Ag” and how they have managed to check all the boxes while managing multiple farms with over 4200 dairy cows, 35,000 chickens and 4,300 organic acres.
Transparency, storytelling, smart distribution, and personally answering customer questions have led their premium A2 milk and dairy products to be distributed in over 1600+ natural food, and high-end grocery stores, including Whole Foods. Listen to the episodes to hear firsthand how they are managing to manage consumer perceptions, create exceptional products and succeed in an industry that is constantly consolidating.
- 1:15 – Meet the Alexandre Farm
- 1:48 – 25 Years as Organic and over 25 as Regenerative
- 2:35 – How Can Dairy Farmers and Producers Create More Sustainable Practices?
- 4:00 – Getting Products into Consumer Hands, Transparency & Storytelling
- 5:30 – Create Premium Dairy Products & Brands
- 6:03 – People Want Something Better
- 8:05 – Using Social Media to Give a Face to the Farm
- 8:37 – What is A2 Milk? History and Evolution
- 9:25 – Lactose Allergies, Milk Proteins and Understanding Reactions
- 12:33 – Working with the Media, Doctors, and the Right Health Influencers
- 13:00 – Creating Other A2 Dairy Products – Cheese, Yogurt and Powdered Milk
- 14:42 – 0 to 1600+ Stores: Developing Distribution for A2 Dairy
- 17:00 – Choosing the Right Distributors
- 19:38 – Consumer Perceptions of Big Diary
- 20:15 – You Can Be Big and Tick All The Boxes
- 22:00 – The Consumer Dollar – Where It Goes
- 23:06 – Wildlife and Natural Habitat Diversification via Dairy Farms
- 24:15 – Animal Welfare – Our Animals Are Our #1 Priority
- 24:45 – Are Dairies Are Carbon Neutral, and We’re Working on Making It Better
- 25:15 – Dairy Soil Health over 30 Years
- 26:25 – Our Cows Are Healthy and Our Consumers Are Healthy
- 27:00 – Learn More About Us, We’ll Personally Answer You
To learn more about the latest trends in meat, dairy, fresh, and grocery products, register to attend the SIAL America show in Las Vegas.