In this episode, we speak with Debbie Borg of Borg Family Farms, on what it’s like to feed millions of people through her family’s farm operation. Now in its sixth generation, Debbie discusses the how and why of her family’s ranch. They raise beef and grow corn, soybeans, alfalfa, and other grains.
The Borg Family Farm also raises poultry for Costco. Debbie shares how the contract with Costco allowed their farm to diversify what they produced and allowed her daughters to come back to the farm and be a part of the business.
Since consumers want to know who raises their food and where it comes from, Debbie openly shares her insights on soil conditions, environmental impacts (weather and geography), growing seasons, being no till, and much more.
What It’s Like to Raise Food at Scale
According to Debbie, “Many people think just because you’re a larger scale producer, that you don’t care about your animals. That is absolutely untrue. If you don’t care for your animals, you won’t survive in this business. We are in charge of their health and wellbeing. It’s up to us to make sure they’re healthy and content.”
Raising food at scale and feeding millions of people isn’t easy, but it’s rewarding. Listen to Debbie’s story of how she loves what she does and how her practices have been climate-smart for decades.
- 0:32 – Meet Debbie Borg and Her Family
- 4:11 – Raising Chickens For Costco
- 4:58 – Costco’s Contracts in Nebraska Allowed Younger Generations to Come Back to The Farm
- 7:35 – Costco’s Contracts Provided Financial Security For Young, Female Farmers
- 8:32 – Chicken Challenge and COVID-19
- 9:50 – Animal Welfare, Climate Change, and Big Ag
- 12:45 – Climate Smart Agriculture
- 14:00 – The How and Why of Corn and Soy in the Midwest
- 18:02 – Growing Food At Scale, Please Trust Us
- If you’d like to connect with Debbie directly, you can find her on LinkedIn.
Subscribe to What We Want to Eat in Google Play | Spotify | iHeart Radio | Amazon
To learn more about the latest trends in meat, dairy, fresh, and grocery products, register to attend the SIAL America show in Las Vegas.